- take off glasses to read
- newspaper has to placed far away
- have to liftup the glasses to read SMS or whatsapps
- have to bring reading glasses every time you go out
What is multifocal glasses
Multifocal glasses also known as progressive glasses is a type of glasses that consist of different prescription within the same pair of glasses.
It is useful for people of age 38 and above who have developed presbyopia (cannot see small words clearly, 老花).
How does multifocal glasses work
Multifocal consists of multiple focus points with different prescriptions. This is to cater adequate power for wearer to see object of different distances clearly.
The image below illustrates the different level of prescription in the glasses.
From the image, you can see that
- The top part is used to see far object
- The middle part is used to see intermediate object
- The bottom part is used to read book or phone messages
Don’t worry, you do not need to keep adjusting the glasses up and down. Your eyes will adjust and fit in well.
Who needs multifocal glasses?
Anyone with age of 38 and above will start to develop presbyopia. The symptoms of presbyopia are as follow :
- Have to remove existing glasses when you read phone message
- You extend phone a little further so that the messages get sharper
- You put on reading glasses when you read and remove it when you are not reading
Well, if any of these bothers you, you may want to consider multifocal glasses. It provides the convenience for you the see clearly without the hassle of changing or alternating glasses or changing the reading distance.
- can read without taking off glasses
- read newspaper at comfortable distance
- can just read the SMS or whatsapps as you like
- a pair of multifocal is all you need
Every pair of multifocal glasses are customised to cater to respective wearer. Meaning to say, your friend’s multifocal is specially made for him or her and you will not feel comfortable wearing it. The multiple focus points are well designed such that the different prescriptions work well with the eye movement.
5 vital steps to prescribing multifocal glasses
- Questionnaire to understand your lifestyle ie how do you read and how do you sit when you drive. We need to understand as in depth as possible so that the glasses is customised to you.
- Lifestyle oriented eye test. It’s not just about getting sharp vision, but also comfortable vision to wear for the entire day. Too sharp may give you headache. We need to find the balance.
- Detailed explanation. Our optometrist will explain about your eye condition and also how to utilise multifocal so that you get the best out of it.
- Personalised frame selection. Instead of going for the biggest or most trendy frame, we will pick one that suit you most in terms of look and wearing comfort.
- Additional measurement caters to your wearing position. Pupillary height, PD, vertex distance and tilt angle are crucial, because all the measurement affect the wearing experience.
best selling frames for multifocal
Make an appointment with our optometrist
Select your preferred outlet here